Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Get Me Back to Cesky Krumlov!


I’m terribly sorry for not updating my blog sooner. It’s been quite interesting the past few days…
On Saturday my classmates, instructors/professors, and I went to Cesky Krumlov. We spent Saturday and half of Sunday there, then headed off to Slavonice, with another one of my professors for a workshop that ends on Wednesday.
Saturday, we spent the whole day out. It was nonstop sight seeing and walking. By the time I got back to the hostel, I was exhausted, so no energy to write a blog.
Then in Cesky on Sunday, for lunch, I had a sausage and these potato chip things.
Within an hour (and 40 minutes till our bus departure to Slavonice) I got food poisoning.
I felt absolutely horrible yesterday and there is no internet in our hostel.
So. No blog, again.

Tonight as I write this, it is October 1st. You know what that means, right?!
It’s FALL!
I’ve been waiting to see the leaves changing color. I’m thrilled that I can be in Europe, more specifically Prague, to witness this change of season. Fall is my favorite season, after all. A place seems to transform completely with the leaves falling and changing color. Even something as simple as walking along and hearing the leaves crunching beneath your feet makes me happy.

I’ve heard people tell me that Cesky Krumlov is one of the top 10 places to visit in Europe. After visiting there, I have to agree.
What is so great about a city being along a river? Or better yet, a river running through the city?
I can’t explain it, but I can feel it. Being able to stand on a bridge over a river surrounded by history is magnificent. It feels like I’m part of some imaginary painting, almost like Mary Poppins where I can pop out of the chalk drawing at any moment.
There is a sense of elegance, friendliness to pedestrians, and moments to pause and look.  Nobody seems to be in a rush.
There was so much to make note of, I’m just going to put some pictures below and then add a caption for the images that need one.


Then on Sunday I was walking across a bridge and realized I was standing on the bridge I drew the day before (the bridge in the above sketch). I stopped and drew where I sat to draw the previous day. I’ve never drawn something from both ways (where I sat could become what I sketch).  I found it engaging!  I definitely want to do it again. A lot of times I find myself more engaged in what I’m drawing than what’s around me.  This “drawing from both sides” exercise taught me to pay attention to my surroundings too, not just what I’m drawing.  


The building on the right is the Castle of Cesky Krumlov. I was more impressed with the leaves’ color than I was with the castle itself.

Framed view! There were roughly fifteen of these punched openings in a row. All of the views were spectacular.

A 5 minute sketch.


It’s a Mary Poppins chalk drawing, isn’t it?


We walked to The Castle Garden. There was a French Garden, which is very structured and symmetrical, and an English Garden that is less structured.  The English Garden is my favorite.
Here is a picture from the French Garden:


Here are some pictures from the English Garden:




What a beautiful place Cesky Krumlov is, right?
Walking around Cesky Krumlov was extremely enjoyable. I wish I could’ve spent more time drawing! Cesky Krumlov sets a standard, in my mind, for how a city should be.  I would go back there in a heartbeat, who’s coming with me??

Have the leaves started to change where you are? I couldn’t resist from plucking a few leaves from trees to put in my sketchbook. Go outside and pluck a colorful leaf today!

No comments:

Post a Comment