Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Color Moving Through An Airport

Airports.
Yuck, right?
All of those people walking too slowly when you need to rush by, noise of suitcases with wheels moving across the floor, too many signs, people running frantically, those weird flat escalator-like walkways (what’s their point, anyway?), stores that sell luggage (who buys luggage in an airport?), uncomfortable chairs at gates, waiting for luggage at baggage claim, trying not to fall asleep while waiting for a plane, automatic flushers and sinks in the bathrooms, the charts with all of those flights listed, the tension of flying, etc…
What could possibly take away your attention from these things mentioned above?

Yep. You guessed it. A spectacular building of course!

The Madrid Airport Terminal 4 is now one of my favorite airports. Hands down. Or in this case, hands up since I’m putting them up in excitement!

My excitement stems from experiencing other well known airports. This past summer I went with my dad to Washington D.C. for the AIA (American Institute of Architects) Convention. We made it a point to visit the Washington International Airport’s main terminal designed by Eero Saarinen, even though we didn’t take off or land at this airport.  I was amazed at the curve that was created by concrete. Concrete is so heavy, so how can it look so effortless with no interior vertical support (i.e. columns)?
Below is a picture, or two, of that airport. And I thought THIS airport was amazing.

On that same D.C. trip, we stopped by the Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport's new terminals designed by Argentine architect César Pelli.  I found the yellow painted steel to be a bit overwhelming.  After a while, it grew on me. Steel makes so many things appear light in weight, when the steel itself is so heavy.

Keep these two things in mind: a simple curve and the color yellow.
Now, MADRID!
Spanish architect, Antonio Lamela and British architect, Richard Rogers designed terminal 4 of this airport. 
(The picture below is only part of the terminal)
 I was so nervous to fly to Madrid in the first place.  Once I landed, I hurriedly moved off the plane, walked up the ramp, and stepped out into the terminal.  I remember stopping instantly and saying, “Wow.”  I’m surprised I made it out of the airport since I kept looking up and around at the architecture. The image below is the view right outside of my gate.
As I walked down this terminal to the exit, I saw off in the distance that the yellow steel structure changes to green and eventually blue.  I turned around and noticed that the other direction led to orange and red.

This terminal was HUGE!
Absolutely breathtaking. I could spend all day in that airport.
I wish all of my flights had connecting flights in Madrid so I could keep experiencing this airport over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment