Saturday, December 8, 2012

Prague, thank you for everything...


I’m ready for the first day of school to start!
Wait, hold it, the semester’s over? How can that be?
I haven’t seen everything I want to! I haven’t tried all of the chocolates in the dessert isle at Alberts (grocery store)! I haven’t experienced the change through all 4 seasons. I haven’t explored Lesser Town enough. I haven’t kissed every cobblestone and hugged every building yet!
I don’t want to leave.

It’s funny, because before I left for Italy with my mom, I was terrified to come to Europe. I was worried that I would be homesick, I wouldn’t know my way around, worried how I could plan a weekend trip on my own, etc.
And now, I don’t want to leave Prague.

I’ve only been in Prague for roughly 90 days but I feel like I’ve lived here all of my life. Charlotte? What’s that? North Carolina? Huh? Raleigh?
I wish I could explain why I feel that way. I have grown to feel comfortable in Prague. This was such a great city to study urban design for my architecture education.

I keep imaging myself kicking and screaming as my dad and sister pull me to the airport tomorrow. Okay, so maybe not kicking and screaming, but I may need a little shove to get moving…..
I honestly could not have done this program without my family and close friends as a huge support system back home. I have enjoyed every minute being here and I appreciate every ounce of encouragement. So, thank you.

Just a few things that I will miss in Prague:
- how cheap food is.  I can buy a package of pasta for 6 kc (just as a conversion, 100 kc is roughly $5)
- the cobblestones
- the way that everything in Prague is photogenic
- how well behaved the dogs are
- how easy it is to use public transportation (bus, metro, tram)
- how clean the city is
- how Alberts only has individual baskets to gather your groceries
- how people-friendly the city is (Prague is definitely a city for people)
- the history of the architecture…
- the smell and feel of warm fresh bread in Alberts
- saying “dobry den!”
- even though I don’t like ham, I’ll miss the ham and cheese breakfasts at the Penzion (dorm)
- having so many things to sketch and glue into my sketchbook
- experiencing snow before Halloween
- my studio classmates. It’s amazing how I’ve known these classmates for 3 years, yet got to know them better in these three months…
- getting all bundled up for cold weather
- ill miss seeing that lovely blue Hyundai hatchback car on the way to school
- etc. etc. etc.

I have never experienced Christmas in another city besides Asheville and Charlotte (from what I can recall). Prague, however, is absolutely beautiful at Christmas time. There are markets everywhere, Christmas lights, Christmas trees, and so much warm food.
Below are some Christmas pictures from Old Town Square.



I picked up my dad and sister from the airport today. It was wonderful seeing both of them. It has been a great day together.  Tomorrow we spend the morning in Prague and then head off to Barcelona!




Prague, you have been great and have treated me so well. I’ll be back soon!
I have learned so much here and have improved as a designer and grown as an individual. 

And for you all reading this, stay warm and start planning your trip to Prague!!

No comments:

Post a Comment